Sunday, October 18, 2009

He speaks to them

He speaks to them
I am speaking to Parliament in just a few minutes.....about the dead, the living and the future. I don't know exactly what to say. I'll have to wing it. I think of President Lincoln, Winston Churchill and Daniel Webster.
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts. - President Abraham Lincoln
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am very happy to be here today, to address the problems we face and perhaps shine a light.
As I was waiting to come out here just now I wondered what I would say. The old advice is stick with what you know. So I remembered this man.
I'm going to relate, summarize really, a story from my home state of New Hampshire, about her favorite son Daniel Webster. The story is fictional but it highlights his true character.
It's The Devil and Daniel Webster. It is a short story by Steven Vincent Benét.
The story is about a New Hampshire farmer in the early 1800's with unending bad luck. Jabez Stone swears that "it's enough to make a man want to sell his soul to the devil!" When Mr. Scratch (the Devil) arrives the next day, the farmer reluctantly makes a bargain for better luck. Mr. Stone enjoys seven years of prosperity, and later bargains for three more years, but as the "mortgage falls due," he convinces famous lawyer and orator Daniel Webster to argue his case with the Devil.
"I'd Fight 10,000 Devils to Save One New Hampshire Man...'' says Daniel Webster during the trail of Jabez Stone, the unlucky man to bargains with the devil.
The story portrays the devil as polite and refined. When the devil arrives he is described as "a soft-spoken, dark-dressed stranger," who "drove up in a handsome buggy." Benét named the devil Mr. Scratch but often referred to him as the stranger, writing passages such as "The stranger looked a little embarrassed." The Devil never threatens, and always acts politely, even shaking hands with Daniel Webster in the end.
A friendly stranger. A helpful alien I might say.
I go on for another 20 minutes. I have their attention now.
I finish...You see ladies and gentlemen Mr. Webster, Daniel Webster beat the devil with a jury of his peers, a jury from the very depths of hell. I tell you, be careful of that smiling stranger that comes to you with an offer you cannot refuse because you will take it and for things to be just I must warn you for the 3rd time....and the last.
Silence.
I know that they cannot resist the devil but you know that's just how things are.
This evening I go see the liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment