Sunday, October 18, 2009

They came from Babylon

They came from Babylon
What did those men say? Where did they come from? From a distant landThey came from Babylon
Falling without fallingburning without flameQueen without childrena place with no name
This time a chopper replaces the car. Time is of the essence no doubt.
I love to fly. If I were a bird, I'd be happy. The helicopter I'm flying in today is sleek, fast and quiet. It's a Bell 430. In a year or so my ride will be quite different.
The trip is uneventful. 2:41 am I land at Langley AFB.
I retrieve the packet of documents I need for my meeting with the President. Only 20 pages but the folder is heavy, even for me. I enter the White House through the 'backdoor' - the west tunnel.
Coffee? The President seems relaxed. I find that unusual, even strange. On election night back in '08 she was red in the face and practically rabid when she mistakenly thought she was going to lose to Newt Gingrich. Now with billions dead she acts like Doris Day. Perhaps death becomes her personality. Her husband will join us shortly. I'm very curious to observe his demeanor.
Jeff walks in the room. He's not feeling well.I'm the only person on this planet that calls him 'Jeff'. I hated this guy when I first met him. I was 10, he 16. My uncle from Marblehead decided I might benefit from a Washington trip. I stood off to the side with my Uncle Harold and Ambassador Kohart when Jeff met President Kennedy.
Jeff and I are friends now. I pity him. The next year will be terrifying for him but I can't help soften it. He's under the spell of his wife and I know her fate, he only senses it grayly.
Well Cap, congratulations. Thank you mam. The Code doesn't look too bad after all. It doesn't look bad to her because she can't see. I can, always could, hence the title CAPTAIN. I never get lost in the fog.
The one specific Code the president is interested in refers to China and her oil fields in the Gulf. I know what they say and I am to go to Beijing. From now on I am visible. Reminds me of the old sitcom:
Making your way in the world todayTakes everything you've got;Taking a break from all your worriesSure would help a lot.Wouldn't you like to get away...
...Sometimes you want to goWhere everybody knows your name
-Cheers Theme
Cont...

No comments:

Post a Comment